Friday, September 28, 2012

What if you lose your job while you are interviewing and other random questions I get…



 Hello Interweb!!!!!  I hope that things are as great in your part of the world as things are here in Iowa (If you forget about the college football being “played” in Eastern Iowa).  Besides the weather, things are going great here!  Before I get into the meat and potatoes of my blog I need to share this beautiful picture of my oldest daughter Ava – this week she had school pictures and my wife took what is quite possibly my favorite picture of her ever!!!  By the way - my other kids are cute too (I have to be fair in case they all read this someday in the future).
Ava age 5


Mia age 2.5

Kai - age 6 months


Now that I’m done being a proud papa I’ll get on to the real reason you read my blog.  Today, I’m going to offer some advice on some random questions I get that I think plague many people.  Think of this as something like that Dr. Oz segment where people get up and ask their embarrassing questions – except on less gross subjects…  Read em below:

What if you lose your job while in the interview process?
This is something that happens way more  than people know and its problematic because it freaks people out.  Losing your job whether its by firing squad or layoff is a deeply personal issue that many people find embarrassing.  First of all – you shouldn’t be embarrassed – it happens to most of you.  I personally feel that this is because so many of us define ourselves by our career and are worried about what getting fired or laid off says out us.  If you are unemployed and actively looking it’s pretty easy – you tell the truth.  However, when people lose their job once in the interview process they sometimes they feel like sharing that they were fired might make them look like damaged goods and choose to hide it.  First of all, there is a risk that you will appear damaged for getting fired.  However, this risk is outweighed by the risk that you appear to be lying to them.  Lying is one of the few things that are unforgiveable.  The best course of action is to tell the company what happened – own it – and move on.  Most companies will be pretty understanding.  After all – you are interviewing for a new job, right?

My boss knows everybody – How do I interview without losing my job?
It’s a small world, a really small world.  I one time had a previous boss find out that I was interviewing somewhere because a friend of hers, who had never met me in person, recognized my voice from the phone and heard it through a door in an interview.  There is no way to fully protect yourself in this area – its just one of the risks that you run when looking for a new job.  Here are a couple of suggestions to keep in mind. 
  • Use a recruiter that can be discreet on your behalf
  • Suggest having meetings outside of the office to minimize the number of people that might see you
  • Remind your interviewer how confidential your search is once or twice (overkill looks bad here)
  • Be very selective in who  you apply to

I’ve only worked for one company – how do I get someone to be a good reference?
First of all – congratulations on your tenure!  Your resume looks better than 99% of  the world including mine.  First, let me tell you that there are some unbending organizations that absolutely require a reference from a supervisor.  In these unique cases it is OK to go dig out a supervisor from your college or high school job as the company is most likely just checking a box off.  In other cases where you don’t need a supervisor you should look at the following people as acceptable references:
  • Former co-workers
  • Current customers – these are awesome references
  • Vendors – again – really good references
Whatever you do – don’t use your brother, sister, mother, priest or AA sponsor.

I have some issues on my credit or criminal background – what do I do?
This is one I’ve discussed before as well.  Here is how you handle it.  First of all – if it is a major issue like a felony – bring it up early and own it.  If it is a misdemeanor or a bad credit issue people are pretty understanding.  What usually trips people up is not the act its because they don’t disclose it on the application and then it comes up on the background check – make you look like a liar.  So, the best way to overcome this is to read the application carefully and err on the side of caution.  Go ahead and disclose the skinnydipping ticket you got in college on the application and there will be no worries when it shows up on your background.  Again – the lie is what gets you – not the bad act.

I’m scheduled for an interview and I just heard some bad things about the company – should I cancel the interview?
When I worked in the restaurant industry a wise man once told me that when someone has a bad experience they  tell 50 people and when someone has a good experience they maybe share it with five people.  Now, I’m not telling you to disregard what you hear out in the world.  After all, where there’s smoke there is sometimes fire.  However, you should listen, go to the interview with this in mind and make your own decision.  Let what you have heard shape your questions.  However, make sure that you are subtle when doing this.  Don’t say – “I heard you are a sweatshop, are you really that bad?”  Instead ask “What kind of work-life balance do your employees have?”  You will get your answer.

I can’t wear a suit to an interview because it will draw suspicion – what do I do?
This is one that I’ve discussed before.  Whatever you do – don’t just show up dressed business casual.  Do you know why people where suits to interviews? It’s not because they are comfortable or because they make you look good.  People wear suits to interviews because it is a sign of respect.  It is also a test to see if you understand social norms.  So, it really isn’t a big deal if you can’t wear one.  You just need to ask  for permission to do so.  Call the interviewer and explain your situation – ask if it is OK if you wear a nice shirt and khakis.  They will say yes – and you will look good for understanding what is expected. 

That’s all I have for today!  What random questions do you have?  Email me at sthompson@insurance-csg.com or leave a comment below!

Check out all of our postings here:


Check out some of my recent articles on the blog here:







































No comments:

Post a Comment